Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | RSS | More
Show Notes for Season Ticket Episode 4
Welcome to the Season Ticket Podcast. Episode 3 is ready for streaming or download by clicking the play button above, so do it!
You can also follow us on Twitter @seasonticketpod and facebook.com/seasonticketpod. Also don’t forget to rate and review the show on iTunes if you get a second.
Cob’s Tips for the 23rd and 24th of January
Cob previews three games for the weekend:
Saturday 23rd January
15.00 Watford v Newcastle Utd
13.30 Everton v Swansea
16.00 Arsenal v Chelsea
Listen in to get his predictions. He’s 1 for 9 on the show so far, and hoping to improve.
Tennis Match Fixing
We have a good discussion about match fixing in Tennis. The following links give a bit of background to the story, and the table contains some of the facts that we chat about:
- The 2013 ‘break-even’ world ranking for women – where the cost of competing was matched by earnings – was 253. For men, the ranking was 336.
- The top 1% of ranked male players – the top 50 – earned 60% of the £113m total prize money pool.
- In the women’s game, the top 50 earned 51% of the total prize money pool of £84m.
- Players ranked in the top 50 earned on average more than £700,000 a year on both the men’s and women’s tours.
- Those from 51 to 100 earned in excess of £140,000, while 101 to 250 average around £59,500.
- For players ranked from 251 to 500, the earnings were just £11,200 a year.
- The average cost of playing tennis in 2013 – travel, food, accommodation – was £27,100 for men and £28,100 for women.
Carl gives us his early thoughts on Johnson vs Bader which is coming up on January 30th, as well as some of the other fights on that card: http://www.ufc.com/event/ufc-fight-night-new-jersey
HSBC and Career Builder Challenge Golf
Rob talks about the golf this week. The HSBC features McIlroy, Spieth, and Fowler, and he gives his reasons why he thinks Rory might triumph over Jordan.
In this US, they’re playing the Career Builder Challenge which used to be known as the Bob Hope Classic….That leads to a chat about corporate naming rights.
The Betting Challenge
The standings are as follows:
Rob: 103 (No joy in last week’s golf but Valencia v Rayo being a draw was a winner)
Cob: 99 (thanks to getting the Stoke v Arsenal draw at 11/4)
Earl: 104 (3-4 UFC picks correct, including a method of victory)
This Week’s Picks
Newcastle to beat Watford at 3/1 (2)
A draw between Swansea and Everton (1)
Arsenal to beat Chelsea at evens (2)
Malaga and Barcelona to draw at 5/1 (1)
McIlroy to finish higher than Spieth at the HSBC…10/11 (2)
Zach Johnson to finish in the top 5 at 5/1 (1)
Nicolas Colsaerts to finish in the top 10 at 11/1 (1)
Staying quiet this week